Re: [STUMP] on Debian can't to start stumpwm

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: [STUMP] on Debian can't to start stumpwm
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:28:32 +0200

Hello!

Please don't post multiple times the same message, I read the list but
real life (and real work) comes first.  About that, I'll be off for
the whole w/e.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:15:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:27:32PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:16:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:
>
>> - SBCL with cl-clx-sblc (this is my advice, what I use everyday)
>
>> > I red the stumpwm README to find out how can I run stumpwm.
>>
>> Have you read /usr/share/doc/stumpwm/README.Debian [3]?  It contains
>
> Yes.
> I edited ~/.emacs and now can to start slime in emacs. Then in SLIME
> run swank, and try tu run stumpwm:
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'swank)
> (swank:create-server :dont-close t)
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'stumpwm)
> (stumpwm:stumpwm)

Well, this is not what's in README.Debian [1].  Maybe it's not
clear, but you should start StumpWM *before* Emacs, otherwise the
swank port will be already taken.  Again, if it's not clear, please
submit a bug in the Debian BTS [2], preferentially with reportbug [3],
and I'll correct it.

If you want to start StumpWM from Emacs (which is not my advice),
fire-up SLIME and then give only the two last commands:

  * (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'stumpwm)
  * (stumpwm:stumpwm)

My advice is to start the swank in ~/.stumpwmrc.  Then once StumpWM
has started you can launch Emacs and connect to the running StumpWM
from SLIME with `slime-connect'.

>> There's an open Debian bug about how to start StumpWM for CL
>> newbies, it's bug #356948 [4].  As you can read at [5], I'm working
>> on a solution for bug #356948 and a new Debian package is expected
>> in the next two weeks.
>
> Will this Debian package installable in Debian Etch?

I need to backport it and then it should be Etch-compliant ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1]