Re: [STUMP] (not urgent) ratclick

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: [STUMP] (not urgent) ratclick
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:42:58 -0400

"Shawn Betts" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Amy Templeton wrote:
> > it works in Emacs:  "ratclick" will move the cursor to wherever
> > the little pointer is. It didn't work in Iceweasel, the other
> > application I tried it in, however. Anyway, I don't know
> > whether this has been pointed out already (sorry to waste time
> > if so) but if it hasn't it seems like it might be good to know
> > that it sometimes works. Maybe later if I have time and energy
> > I'll try to dive into the CLX manual and figure something out
> > :-) . This may not be for a *while*, though, since I'm still
> > fairly new at this stuff (though I have been booking up a bit)
> > and the next few days are pretty busy for me.

> Thanks for the feedback. I wrote the function so I could restore
> focus in conkeror, as sometimes it just magically vanishes, and
> found it not to work. It's nice to know it at least works in
> emacs.

Ah, check. Unfortunately, large portions of my school's website
play nicely with neither conkeror nor hit-a-hint, so I sometimes
need to emulate the mouse (I've tried talking to them about
accessible site design, but they'll have none of it (they use some
nasty, expensive program called "Blackboard" for "course
management, online").

> The reason it doesn't work, I figured, was that clients can
> detect "fake" events, such as the click event stumpwm sends.
> ratpoison uses the xtest extension which creates undetectable
> fake click and key events. Sadly, I don't think any clx has this
> implemented. That, I think, would be the Thing To Do if you were
> inclined to Do It Right. In clisp's new-clx it'd be trivial to
> write since it's a wrapper around xlib. mit-clx and portable-clx
> would be maybe a bit trickier. It'd probably be an interesting
> task, if you're up for it.

Hmm, that's interesting! I honestly don't know whether I'd be up to
the task (I am by no means an experienced programmer, as I
mentioned), but I'm definitely willing to give it a shot...there's
always time to learn new things. Is new-clx just the current clx
library (which in my case just means the Debian Testing version of
it)? I googled a bit and looked at the docs distributed with the
Debian package but am still not sure whether Testing uses mit-clx
or new-clx. I guess if more googling doesn't turn that up and/or
somebody here doesn't happen to know of the top of their heads,
I'll try asking on debian-devel or something.

Anyway...we'll see what happens there. If I come up with anything,
I'll let folks 'round here know. If I give up in frustration, I'll
mention that too, I suppose.

Amy

--
Will stain.