Switching between Mbrola voices

From: Alex ARNAUD
Subject: Switching between Mbrola voices
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 18:29:14 +0200

Dear all,

Lot of regular users would be able to switch between voices from the
Orca preferences GUI.

At this time Mbrola is available from the generic module. This module
doesn't offer the way to switch between voices.

I would like to implement a function that will search into the mbrola
location path what voices are installed. I found no other way to get the
list of voices from Mbrola because it doesn't provide an API.

You could see below what I would like to implement, I would like your
input to be sure It's OK for you due it's the first time I'll patch
speech-dispatcher.

My ideas are :
- to patch the generic module to add this feature. I prefer this
solution because I see no reason to rewrite others functions than
module_list_voices.
- to add a new option GenericMbrolaVoices to determine if we would like
to search mbrola voices. It will be not used insidepico-generic
- to add a new function to search for the mbrola voices into the hard drive
- to patch the list voices functions and return the result of the new
function if the parameter GenericMbrolaVoices is set to true (1)

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager