copyrights

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: copyrights
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:50:38 +0200

On 27.9.2010 20:59, William Hubbs wrote:
> Isn't it true that we should be assigning the copyrights for everything
> we commit to sd to Brailcom, O.P.S.?

Yes, according to the cooperation guidelines we have:

     http://www.freebsoft.org/cooperation#anchor12

It is important, I think, to consider that copyright
is not the same thing as authorship. Authorship always
remains to the person who contributed the change,
as documented in Git log and in the AUTHORS file.

The copyright policy is purely a practical matter
of dealing with the codebase and it's license. A single
copyright holder gives us not only better position against
possible license violations but also ability to deal with
the licenses, such as relicensing something from GPL
to LGPL if needed.

We think it's the best policy, but please let me know
if you have suggestions or concerns about it. Of course
we want to have a model that works well for everyone
involved.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke