SSIP questions

From: Andrei Kholodnyi
Subject: SSIP questions
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:31:53 +0200

> 1. Each message queued returns a msg_id. Is there a value range for msg_id
> that
> must be supported by the clients? (like all 64-bit unsigned)
>
> 2. Default message priority is mentioned as applying to messages with no
> priority explicitely specified, but this default priority is not defined in
> the
> text. Is it an omission, or is it implementation-defined?

you can set DefaultPriority in the speechd.conf to any of 5 possible.
and speechd's default is "message" IIRC.

> 3. Priority "progress" - it is said there that Speech Dispatcher detects that
> the progress message is the last one by waiting. Do I understand correctly
> that
> that the specification means that there is some (possibly
> implementation-defined) timeout amount which the Speech Server simply waits to
> verify no other progress message arrives from the same connection and then
> speaks the progress message?

there is no timeout.
there are currently 5 queues in spd, one per priority.
SPD sends a message to synth, the looks for other messages.
if it discovers that the next message shall be spoken immediately, it
just stops current message.

> 4. (just a thought) the image "figures/priorities" could list the "Important"
> priority also as "Doesn't interrupt itself")

I do not remember, if it is an expected behavior, then yes.

> 5. What is the relation between blocks and e.g. SSML? Can one do what the
> other
> can't?

Interesting question. Actually blocks per definition just for the
priority aggregation.
"Block commands allow the client to concatenate several messages to
form one block that behaves as one message in the priority system and
history".

That means blocks can contain any combination of text/ssml

> 6. Regarding message blocks being treated as a single message:
>
> I made this experiment:
>
> 01:A: SET SELF PRIORITY text
> 02:A: BLOCK BEGIN
> 03:A: SPEAK
> 04:A: first text
> 05:A: .
> 06:B: SET SELF PRIORITY important
> 07:B: SPEAK
> 08:B: important message
> 09:B: .
> 10:A: SPEAK
> 11:A: second text
> 12:A: .
> 13:A: BLOCK END
>
> block is began by client A on line 02, with priority set to "text" on line 01.
> First part of the message block is spoken after line 05. On lines 06-09,
> client B sends message of priority important which should cancel the currently
> spoken block from line 02. Yet second part of the block said by client A on
> lines 10-12 is still said, even though the whole block should have been
> cancelled.

file a bug :D

> 7. The definition of parameter CAP_LET_RECOGN says that when the capital
> recognition mode is "spell", the capital letters are spelled "using the table
> set as CAP_LET_RECOGN_TABLE". I however did not notice what spelling "using a
> table set" means, and also have not noticed what CAP_LET_RECOGN_TABLE is.

CAP_LET_RECOGN_TABLE is not implemented.
Probably the idea was to provide a table to SPD for the CapLet via SSIP.

> 8. line 1158: event RESUME can be followed be either event END or RESUME.
> My question is: It cannot be again followed by event PAUSE?
could be an error in text.

see http://cvs.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd/ssip.html#SEC8
"RESUME is allways preceeded by the event PAUSE, and can be followed
by either the event END or CANCEL."

> 9. Scope of event notifications. E.g. with
> SET SELF NOTIFICATION ALL on
> does the "SELF" mean:
>
> a. notifications for message queued by any client will be sent
> to this (SELF) client
> b. notifications of messages queued by this client (SELF) will be sent
> to every client
> c. notifications of messages queued by this client (SELF) will be sent
> to this (SELF) client

I'd interpret it like
all type of notifications /5 types/ for the messages particular client
produces will be sent back to it.

Interesting to know what "SET ALL NOTIFICATION ALL on" would mean... :D