New Czech/Slovak TTS module for speech dispatcher

From: Daniel Tihelka
Subject: New Czech/Slovak TTS module for speech dispatcher
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:49:02 +0200

Dear SpeechD developers.

I would like to ask, if you looked at the very first implementation of
speech-dispatcher module for the SpeechTech TTS engine, and if you have
notes/suggestions about it.

There was a note from Mr. Zamazal about the exception in licence, which I can
simply add to the module. The module, of course, includes hearer files from
other SpeechD modules which do not have this exception (which is, however,
case of ibmtts as well, I suppose). Honestly, I don't know how to solve this.
Give me your preffered suggestions, if you have some, please ...

In case that someone is not happy to use "dummy" module for testing, I can
also offer the real version of the TTS library for you to try it. If you are
interested, just write to me, and I will sent you SpeechTech's licence
agreement which needs to be signed (unfortunately, but it is neither
complicated, nor EXTREMELY restrictive ...). Then I can send you the TTS
engine and related data (all which will finally be distributed by
SpeechTech), together with the information how to configure and register it
(an installable RPM/APT package is, unfortunately, not ready yet). However,
note that it is possible for Czech language only!

I would also like to ask you few question:

1:
Do you have (or do you plan) a tool which would help to configure speechd?
During the installation we need to locate speechd config files and to
register new module (AddModule ...). I guess that there is no guarantee that
the config file is always in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf. Do you have
a preferred/recommended way of modifying the file (by an install script)?

2:
Should the installation (RPM/APT) register the module as default
(DefaultModule ""), and should it register it as preferred for the language
(LanguageDefaultModule "" ""). Do you have an experience that the blind users
are able to configure speechd by editing its config file?

To summarise it: what should SpeechTech TTS module installation script
configure in itself and how to do it in the easiest way?

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
D. Tihelka

--
Daniel Tihelka, dtihelka at kky.zcu.cz ? ? ? ? ?
http://www.kky.zcu.cz/cs/people/tihelka-daniel

Phone : +420 377 63 2531 ? ? ? ? ?

Department of Cybernetics - Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence
University of West Bohemia
Univerzitni 8,
306 14 Plzen
Czech Republic