social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Looking how to help

From: Zachary Krebs
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Looking how to help
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 11:26:06 -0700

Sure thing. I have been giving this some thought for awhile and I feel as though:

A social network should not come in place of real human interaction (in real life, in the outside world, or however you want to define this). So, to me, a social network is a tool that extends my minds ability to interact  - it facilitates and extends real world interactions. I believe the "cloud based computing" phenomena of centralization of data to be kind of how our food distribution system in America evolved (and perhaps elsewhere), that we gave up our own ability to grow food in favor of bigger, more systematized ways. These ways have not turned out to be better, its always good to know how to grow our own food and make things ourselves. So, this to me is the spirit of what free, open source software and GNU Social could be about - creating know-how in a community, and creating your own community.

I don't like the idea of Social Networks being about blogging or tweeting about personal egotistical traits - like "oh I just brushed my teeth", or "hey I have 500 friends I don't even know!". However, some personal information is useful, but when it comes down to it reading about someone and knowing them are two different things - a social network should encourage the latter. My perspective is its a useful tool to create community - so features like...

Perhaps some of this is outside of the scope of what you are trying to accomplish or is completely irrelevant, but I hope that it will be useful in your creation of GNU Social. If its about facilitating human consciousness, choice, and getting people to connect in real life, then I would love to promote it and use it in many places. I don't have the answers as to how we could accomplish these features on a technical level, but its easy to lose sight of technology just being a tool, and its easy to get feature driven. What will make GNU Social a success is if human beings use it to create useful, meaningful life experiences. Such as "I used GNU Social to plan my wedding, it was awesome". Or, "I used GNU Social to facilitate to a community rally supporting a cause and got 500 people to show up".

Sincerely,

Zachary Krebs

Voice:(541) 708-1163
Skype: ZacharyKrebs

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Hellekin O. Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 10:13:22AM -0700, Zachary Krebs wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm a complete noob to mailing lists, GNU projects, and programming in
> general. However, I find this project very interesting and have subscribed
> to the list. I have been an end-user of the various social networks for many
> years, and would be willing to add an end-user perspective, as well as do
> some work on the website for this project if needed or necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Zachary

*** Hello and welcome Zachary!

I'm interested in your vision of what the ideal social networking
application should do: can you write down what functionalities you
use, what you like and dislike about current services, what you expect
from a free social networking application?

Having a non-technical view at this point cannot hurt and can indeed
help the hackers to take some distance from the code and the (complex)
technical aspects.

Cheers,

==
hk