sks-devel

[Sks-devel] spodhuis keyserver: ocaml 4.02.3

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] spodhuis keyserver: ocaml 4.02.3
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 16:56:57 -0500

sks-peer.spodhuis.org (serving clients as sks.spodhuis.org) is currently
reporting version 1.1.6+; if it stops reporting "+" then I discovered
something broke and reverted.

The code is the build-cleaner branch in my bitbucket clone:

  https://bitbucket.org/philpennock/sks-keyserver-philp/branch/build-cleaner

There are two changesets:

 * stop hard-coding gcc; ocaml on FreeBSD is built with clang and since
   I switched sks to clang a year ago, I've had no more issues with
   "badness" when telling sks to write stats via signal from cron.

 * make it compile with ocaml 4.02.3

The dev mode forces warnings to be errors; since I was in here anyway,
and I have 4.02.3 as the system ocaml, I decided to hack away grossly to
get things working again.

The main issues appear to my ocaml-naive eyes to be that a bunch of
aliases in StdLabels are giving deprecation warnings, and the syntactic
sugar for setting a byte in a string via `<-` is not available with the
replacement BytesLabels module.

In the first few files, I only changed the places which had to be
changed to get the source to compile, deciding that if stuff like
String.length was type-happy then so was I.  I got a little more
aggressive in later files.

A few apparently-unused functions got deleted, because they led to type
complaints.  Strange that the only remaining functions to cause issues
were all unused.  I'm hoping that there's no
reflection-constructing-function-names magic going on.

I see key retrievals happening, and uploading an existing key with no
changes works fine, so I'm just leaving this running to see what
happens.

(Before switching binaries, I stopped SKS, did a DB recover and took a
filesystem snapshot, so worst case scenario I restore the snapshot and
downgrade the binary to release, then catch up on some missing updates).

-Phil