sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] reverse proxies and the pool

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] reverse proxies and the pool
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:23:12 -0400

On 10/28/2013 03:10 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
With a great number of the SKS servers already in the pool now
supporting a reverse proxy[a] does it make sense to make this a
hard-requirement for inclusion in the pool in order to increase
availability?

I like this idea. We have a lot of servers that implement this practice (with different reverse proxies). currently, if a query to the pool happens to hit one of the non-reverse-proxied servers that is currently stuck serving a slow client, it makes it look like "the pool is broken". We'd avoid those problems by having the pool just refer to those systems with higher-availability setups. Non-proxied servers would continue to work, and to gossip with the rest of the network as expected, but they would not be subject to the load coming from the clients who use the pool.

So I would be happy to see this change.

For those operating sks keyservers without a reverse proxy, but who want to start using one, please see the examples and documentation at:

https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/wiki/Peering#!http-performance

Regards,

        --dkg