sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] problems with SKS 1.0.10 when searching by key ID from G

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] problems with SKS 1.0.10 when searching by key ID from GnuPG
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:35:05 -0400

On 04/03/2009 08:01 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:17, address@hidden said:
> keys.gnupg.net is pretty new and I configure it manually.  I poll the
> keyservers every hour or so to see whether they are still responding and
> send a mail if they don't response.  Everything else is done by hand for
> now.  Let me know a list of bad SKS vesions and I remove the,s.  Stats
> are at http://keystats.gnupg.net .  I guess I hould subscribe to the SKS
> list as the old keyserver folks list seems to be dead.

SKS 1.0.10 is the only version i feel should be excluded, due to its
(mis)behavior when searching by keyID.

Unfortunately, that rules out the majority of the keyservers in
keys.gnupg.net and http-keys.gnupg.net

Feel free to add zimmermann.mayfirst.org to both pools if you like: it
listens on both 11371 and 80, and runs SKS 1.1.0.

>> I wouldn't be surprised if it gives people the general impression that
>> gpg or enigmail or keyservers or OpenPGP are just flakey tools.  That
>
> Definitely more stable than any public X.509 infrastructure includig
> those which are required by the German tax law for checking qualified
> signatures on invoices ;-).

Believe me, i agree with you!  I was just commenting on the perception
that someone might have coming to it for the first time, knowing that
they need to pull down a key with a given keyid, and seeing what appears
to be non-deterministic behavior from the keyservers.

Regards,

        --dkg