sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 and GPG

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 and GPG
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:02:46 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:48:46PM -0700, Phil Pennock wrote:

> With the attached patch against gnupg-1.4.9, the key retrieval works.
> It's just a matter of handling IP address literals in square brackets.

Ah, right.  I did do a conversion to using getaddrinfo a few years ago
for IPv6 support, but I believe it was only tested with hostnames (not
many IPv6 hosts out there then).

> Reference is RFC3986 / STD66 "Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic
> Syntax"
>
>       host        = IP-literal / IPv4address / reg-name
>       IP-literal = "[" ( IPv6address / IPvFuture  ) "]"
>       IPvFuture  = "v" 1*HEXDIG "." 1*( unreserved / sub-delims / ":" )
>
> In practice, I just check for something in square brackets and take that
> as the host portion; a more paranoid check would validate at least the
> character set of the enclosed contents and do something other than treat
> it as a normal hostname.

I think that is okay.  We treat IPv4 addresses as hostnames as well,
so at least this is consistent.

Thanks for the patch.  I've applied it with a few minor changes and
it'll be in the next release.

David