sipwitch-devel

Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Fwd: Re: Sipwitch Secure,P2P

From: Earl
Subject: Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Fwd: Re: Sipwitch Secure,P2P
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:18:57 +0100

The SIP protocol is by definition not world-wide P2P over IPv4 since
it has no native NAT traversal capability.

Even STUN, ICE, etc are only band-aids that are unsatisfactory.

Even with the arrival of IPv6, normal end users will remain behind a
NAT, and never see a native, non-tunneled IPv6, in my opinion.  I do not
see any ISP ever giving any customer a direct IPv6 connection.

The *ONLY* P2P protocol that I know of that has native NAT traversal
is IAX / IAX2.

David Sugar, if you are reading this, I would very much appreciate it
if you would code a software similar to SIPwitch, especially for IAX
for example called IAXwitch.  If available for Debian/Ubuntu it should be
able to run on the Raspberry PI.

David, if you would be willing to write IAXwitch for Raspberry Debian,
I would sponsor a Raspberry PI for you.

There is a program called YATE that has an IAX client and server in it,
among many other things.

In my opinion, to have a simple P2P, secure telecom that any end user
can install and it just works, the only way is to use IAX protocol. I use
FreePP, which used to be available for PC and can confirm that when
traveling I have been able to telecommunicate over a triple-NAT as if
the 3 NATs were not there.  It always works with no kluges like STUN,
ICE, and voice quality is excellent.

The fact that IAX was originally written as an Asterisk trunking protocol
does not matter; it has been used for P2P by Firefly, Verbiage, and
FreePP.
In the old modem days, people used IAX in places like Eygpt and
Pakistan and always got their msgs through.

David, if you really are interested in weaning people away from Skype
to an open source equivalent, please, pleasse, pleasssse code a
program IAXwitch.

Regards, Earl