sipwitch-devel

Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Sipwitch Status and Documentation

From: Lee Azzarello
Subject: Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Sipwitch Status and Documentation
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:39:52 -0800

On 02/25/2012 02:02 AM, Gernot Super wrote:
> Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately theres nothing new for me
> there. I think i already read all public available documentation about
> SIPWITCH - even your ubuntu 11.04 manual.
> I would be very happy if you guys could update the documentation by
> adding more examples, i.e. i want to VOIP with a friend over the
> internet via Jitsi and a step by step config for SIPWITCH would be very
> nice.
>
> Already tried to register at http://friendika.gnutelephony.org/login two
> weeks ago, but did not get approved by the admin so far.
>
> Well, i want to try it out, but without further documentation i cannot
> do that. I wonder how i could if even a expierienced hacker needs some
> days to get it up and running (http://lee.rockingtiger.com/ - too bad
> the announced manual isn't online yet).

Hello Gernot,

I'm the experienced hacker you referred to. I agree that the
documentation is lacking. I ended up reading the source code to discover
some of the configuration options that are not documented. I like the
Sipwitch project and I think the documentation will improve in time.
Despite the 1.0 release version label, I consider the software in a beta
stage. It's functional but requires more expertise to get a stable
system running than I would expect for "stable" software.

I'm moving my R&D project ( https://guardianproject.info/wiki/OSTN ) to
evaluate Freeswitch, so I'm not going to be engaged with Sipwitch for a
few months. I do plan to come back to it and would like to improve the
configuration process at that time.

Best,
Lee