Re: [Simulavr-devel] git

From: Onno Kortmann
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] git
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:51:03 +0100

Hi,

another late reply to this discussion:
> I'd already found this one.  It hasn't helped much.
> So far, I've not been able to check out anything.
> The checkout doesn't complain.
> I just don't see any new files afterward.
> Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
The following should work (and will generate a directory simulavrxx in your
current working directory):

$ git clone git://github.com/onnokort/simulavrxx

and in simulavrxx/, all the files should appear.

If you type

$ git branch -a

you'll see that you're on a local branch named master (because there are no
slashes - this is not exactly correct, but close enough), marked with '*' in
the first column. The other lines describe remote branches you just copied to
your disk and which you can check out.

All other things are accessible if you generate local working branches for
them. For example:

$ git checkout -b cvs-work origin/cvs-upstream

will check out, into a new branch 'cvs-work' the cvs-upstream branch, which
holds the imported but otherwise completely unmodified CVS source of
simulavrxx. Should be up-to-date or close. Another branch exists for the old
non -xx simulavr source; you can get it e.g. with

$ git checkout -b simulavr-old origin/simulavr-old

There it is, all the old code.

To switch between the different branches, simply do a

$ git checkout <branch>

with <branch> being the branch you want to check out, such as

$ git checkout master

to go back to the master branch.

Histories can be shown on any branch with

$ git log

Which version of git are you using, btw? You should use something in the 1.6.x
or newer range.

Best regards,

Onno