Re: [Simulavr-devel] patch: make bootstrap suggest a separate build dire

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] patch: make bootstrap suggest a separate build directory
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:14:44 -0700

On Tue Jun 16 17:44 , Onno Kortmann  sent:

>> >People may download simulavrxx.tar.gz with a pre-made 'configure'
>> >from configure.ac, and they will not see your message when
>> >just calling 'configure'.
>>
>> Configure could use fixing also.  I'm starting small.
>If it is in 'configure', it does not need to be in bootstrap, does it?

It might not need to be, but bootstrap already produces a message.
To me, it's a wrong message.
I thought that getting rid of a wrong message would
meet less resistance if I offered a replacement.

>In your other mail, you explicitely stated that it confused you
>that there are hidden options in *configure*.
>
>So why don't you put it where it belongs?

Partly inertia.
Also, I've read that there are technical reasons that most configure scripts
won't complain about options like --enable-wrong and --disable-dummerer .
I would expect those reasons to make it difficult to automate a census of them.

--
Michael Hennebry
address@hidden