[Simulavr-devel] Building on Mac OS X Leopard

From: Steven Borley
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] Building on Mac OS X Leopard
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:11:55 +0100

I thought I'd have more difficulty but with a couple of tweaks simulavr builds on Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard, PPC)
Built from a CVS download taken toady.

Firstly I tweaked ./bootstrap so it would accept the versions of programs I have on mac OS X

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.10

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61

then...
$ /bootstrap
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/avr
$ make

The make initially failed with errors in src/avrcore.h and I had to make the following changes...

static inline uint8_t // was extern inline uint8_t
avr_core_io_read (AvrCore *core, int reg)
{
    return avr_core_mem_read (core, reg + IO_REG_ADDR_BEGIN);
}

static inline void      // was extern inline void
avr_core_io_write (AvrCore *core, int reg, uint8_t val)
{
    avr_core_mem_write (core, reg + IO_REG_ADDR_BEGIN, val);
}

After that it built without errors.

Also passed all tests.

$ make check
Ran 13850 tests in 249.250 seconds [55.567 tests/second].
  Number of Passing Tests: 13850
  Number of Failing Tests: 0

Other than using with a real project, is there any other test that demonstrate that its functional? If not I go look at the example. I've not used simulavr before, so now I've compiled it I'm on the bottom end of the learning curve on how to use it.

Second question: should I be looking at simulavrxx, rather than simularavr? I'm aiming to work with Atmega164p with primary work on linux, secondary work (= at home) on Mac OS X. Being able to simulate on Mac OS X would be very useful, hence this attempt.

Regards,
Steven