Re: (no subject)

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:23:00 -0400

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 08:36:46AM EST, address@hidden wrote:

> The current scrolling interface to GNU Screen is not particularly
> simple to use, and neither so to understand.  The reason is that this
> mode is mainly designed to move around text, and not scroll the
> window, which is just a side effect.

I agree.

> Would a patch integrating easier scrolling, say, by the Linux-style
> SHIFT+PG??, be welcome?

Especially if the keyboard actions are not hard-coded.

As a touch typist .. having to reach for the PgUp/PgDn keys would make
your enhancement basically unusable.

My preference would be for half-page scrolling via Ctrl-U and Ctrl-D
(same as in vim) and good mnemonics as any.

When reading text or log files, the output of shell commands .. etc.  I
find that half-page scrolling is a good compromise because it combines
moving the display a sizeable chunk at a time with minimal effort ..
while still providing context:  When I started, I initially paged one
page at a time but then I realized that I would frequently have to page
back to the previous "view" because whatever I saw after paging down (or
up) made me want to double-check on what was on the previous/next page.
Ibid. when I'm reading a web page and I need to back up a bit to re-read
the beginning of a sentence of paragraph.  With half-page scrolling I
find that more often than not there is enough context on the new display
to ensure that I don't have to page back to where I was.

HTH

Thanks,
cga