Re: Tab bar

From: Brad Sims
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:11:18 -0500

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 6:02 pm, Toby wrote:

> Such a line would enable you to always have a clear idea of where the
> various programs are.  If you, like me, use a couple of dedicated keys
> to cycle between the windows, a tab bar would make that operation much
> more self-explanatory.  (As a side note, on my keyboard I use F11 and
> F12 for this purpose: bindkey -k F1 prev; bindkey -k F2 next.)

As do I, Nice to know that I am not the only one.

If you want a simple way to rename the existing "tab" add this to .screenrc.
bindkey -k k9 title

This sets <F9> to change the title of the screen.

> Is there a way of accomplishing it with the existing screen code?
> (I must admit I don't understand a few of the more obscure features like
> 'hardstatus' well enough to see if they can be used to make a 'tab bar')
Let me look in my .screenrc:

# The resultsing command give you a status line that
#  looks like this:
#   | Screen(s): 0 slrn  1* bash  <blanks zapped>  5:07PM  Thu, Aug/24/2006 |
#  (The pipes indicate the edges of the xterm/console).

# Green text, time, and date; windows in blue:
hardstatus alwayslastline "%{=b}%{G} Screen(s): %{b}%w %=%{kG}%C%A  %D,

--
Strip Mining Prevents Forest Fires.