Re: [Savannah-users] accessing git.sv machine

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] accessing git.sv machine
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:52:50 -0700

Phillip Lord wrote:
> Okay, solved the problem. You are correct, I had different id_rsa keys
> on the two machines (I thought that they were synced, between my
> machines, but there are not, which is probably a good thing as it
> happens).

Yay!  I think it is a good thing that they are different too.

> I thought I might have got my pairs mixed up (so I had an unmatched
> public/private pair), but that wasn't true. The, for me, unexpected
> thing was that I *had* checked my public key against the only on
> savannah on my work machine; and, indeed, they were the same, for the
> first 60 or so characters. Rather a surprise to me; I assumed that
> public keys were (effectively) random, and checking the start should
> have been enough.

I always keep different keys on different systems.  That way if there
were a compromise on one system then I can disable just that key and
not lose access from other good systems.  Since Savannah can support
multiple keys (don't know if you already did this) but I would simply
register the second key on your work machine.  Then you would have
access from both systems as you are desiring but each could be
disabled independently.

> Anyway, all fixed now. Sorry for the time waste, and many thanks!

It was no trouble at all.  You are most welcome.

Bob