Re: [savannah-help-public] [SSH][PERMISSION] Issue to ssh with authorize

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] [SSH][PERMISSION] Issue to ssh with authorized public keys
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:54:50 -0400

Hello,

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 18:03, Guillaume Marques <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 03/20/2017 10:50 PM, Assaf Gordon wrote:
>> Savannah and fencepost are completely separate systems, and managed
>> by different people. When you write "I can ssh on it" - which is "it" ?
>
> "it" is my fencepost session. As said there [0], my ssh keys added in
> Savannah allow me to ssh on my fencepost session.

Aha!
Indeed, logging into fencepost has very little to do with savannah (but see
below).
Adding more keys to savannah will not add them to fencepost.

> Maybe I need to contact address@hidden every time I add an ssh key for it to
> be added in my session?

Not unless you're locked out of fencepost:
If you can login the fencepost once (using the first key you've put on
savannah),
you can edit by yourself the file /home/t/tauril/.ssh/authorized_keys
and add as many keys as you'd like.

If you are locked-out and can't login at all - then yes, contact address@hidden
.

> If so, I believed otherwise because of the following sentence located in [0]:
> > Your ssh public key from Savannah will be used for access to fencepost
>
> [0]: https://www.gnu.org/software/README.accounts.html

Thank you for pointing this out.
This sentence is confusing: only the *initial* key (the first time your
fencepost account is created) is taken from savannah.
Afterwards, adding more keys to savannah does not matter.

I guess the rational is the following:
You can not login to fencepost with a password, an ssh-key is required.

The admins who manage fencepost don't want to deal with receiving keys by email,
and so they say: When we create an account on fencepost, we'll use the exact
same username and ssh-key from savannah (because savannah already has your
ssh-key,
and also verified your email account).

I'll contact them and ask them to rephrase it better.

regards,
 - assaf