[Savannah-hackers] Re: Fwd: Re: submission of fb-livecd - savannah.gnu.o

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Fwd: Re: submission of fb-livecd - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:07:56 +0200

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> said:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:30:51PM +0100, Daniel Bartlett wrote:
>>
>> Umm Rudy, I have added the notices into the 1.2 tbz2 and the COPYING? Did
>>
>> you not notice the date change?
>
> Yes I did.  I did not find a COPYING file in your tarball.
>
> Also:
> # Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
> # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
>
> Is not the correct way to include copyright and permission to copy
> statements.

More specifically, it limitates you software to be released under the
GPLv2.

(Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.
The reason for this is that when we publish GPL v3, it will be
important for all GPL-covered programs to advance to GPL v3.  If you
don't put this in the files now, the only way to port your program to
GPL v3 would be to ask each and every copyright holder, and that may
be very difficult.)

Not using the standard headers proposed at the end of the GPL license
can creates lot of glitches.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |