[Savannah-hackers] Re: Uploading files

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Uploading files
Date: 06 Oct 2003 11:21:11 +0200

Annamalai Gurusami <address@hidden> said:

> Hi.
>
> I am the owner of the 'ferment' project at savannah (very new project.
> Still empty).
>
> Not having a web interface to upload files makes it all very difficult
> for me to accomplish my task.

Well, a web browse is not a convenient and secure tool to manage
files.

> I am still struggling with a way to upload my files.
>
> I can understand the various security measures.  But then is it not
> possible to have an HTTPS interface to upload files?

No.
It's not the purpose of HTTPS.

> I am behind a fire wall and I don't know what is all is expected to
> work.  Browsing works.  But nothing else is allowed.  Or so it
> seems.

In this case, you will not be able to develop a software, as you will
not be able to even use CVS.

> I created the ssh key.  And I installed the cvs in my machine.  But
> when I issue the command,
>
> $ cvs -z3 address@hidden:/cvsroot/ferment co ferment
>
> I get "cannot open the socket: connection timed out" error.  Don't
> know what to do now.

Possibly a firewall issue. You should ask the admins of your network
to provide you a decent connectivity in order to permits you to fully
work.

> Isn't there any plans to provide a web interface, so that I can
> upload files without having to bother with any other software other
> than my web browser?  (I use firebird, BTW).

No, there's no such plans and I would personally not agree with such
plans in the current state of thing.
Sorry.

Regards,

--