[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Multi-Body Systems Library - savann

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Multi-Body Systems Library - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 05 Oct 2003 14:16:29 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden said:

> Manuel Gonzalez Castro <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Multi-Body Systems Library
> System name: mbslib
> Type: non-GNU

> Multi-Body Systems (MBS) simulation is a technique that can be used to
> develop and analyse almost any mechanical system: engineers use it in the
> automotive, railway, aerospace and other industries to produce better
> products. In recent years MBS technology evolved in powerful computer
> analysis software like ADAMS (http://www.adams.com) or Simpack
> (http://www.simpack.de). But MBS comercial codes are quite expensive,
> therefore education centers and small enterprises can't afford them.
>
> The purpose of this project is to develop a free, high-quality MBS simulation
> suite. A free tool like this will benefit small enterprises, research groups,
> education centers and engineering students.
>
> Initially, the main developer will be the Mechanical Engineering Laboratory
> of University of La Coruña (Spain). We are a research group with a solid
> backgroud in the MBS field, more information can be obtained in our web site
> (http://lim.ii.udc.es). We will invite other universities to join this
> project.
>
> There is no source code yet, since the software is under design stage.
>
> Other Software Required:
> Name     URL                                License

> libxml2  http://www.xmlsoft.org             MIT License
>
> ATLAS    http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net  modified BSD
>
> Boost    http://www.boost.org               Free Software

According to http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#License, I
believe that Boost is a GPL-incompatible library. In fact, I believe
that this license makes of boost a proprietary software (that is the
opinion of sourceforge.net also, shown on the sourceforge project page
of boost).

So your software cannot depend on this library if you want to keep it
wholy free, as defined by the FSF.

We cannot host your project until you find a free software alternative
to boost.

You are welcome to resubmit your project on Savannah if you can get
rid of this dependancy.

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above.  The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times.  Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: