[Savannah-hackers] Re: Scope of non-GNU software on Savannah [was: Namin

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Scope of non-GNU software on Savannah [was: Naming our Sourceforge clone]
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:39:17 -0700 (MST)

    So GNU software should be designed for GNU; but non-GNU software hosted
    on Savannah could, in principle, be even a Windows-only program...

That is a good question which I had not thought about before.  Since
we are worried about having too much demand for Savannah, it makes
sense to put some additional limits on what sorts of things we will
host, both to cut things down somewhat and to encourage good
practices.

Perhaps we should limit Savannah to programs that do not require any
proprietary software in order to be usable.

Perhaps we should limit Savannah to programs that can run on some
kind of GNU system.

Perhaps we should limit Savannah to programs that could be listed
in the Free Software Directory.  Using one set of criterion for
both purposes would be simplicity.