[Savannah-hackers] gnatsweb license

From: Gerald Pfeifer
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] gnatsweb license
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:27:03 +0100 (CET)

RMS,

Milan (GNATS maintainer) and me (gnatsweb maintainer) have been trying
to solve this issue, but it seems we have to escalate this to you.

I'm also Cc:ing Hugo and savannah-hackers as for them this is important
as well, and it came up while discussing further collaboration with them.

Right now, gnatsweb, the GNATS web frontend, is a software without
license.

Specifically, gnatsweb is not GPLed, and doesn't contain any license.
It originated as a source code posted to a mailing list.  Its original
author Matt Gerassimoff <address@hidden> has no problem with
relicensing his code under GPL. He wrote:

  I thought it was under GPL.  I wrote the first version but all I did
  was release the code without license.  As far as I'm concerned, I
  would include it in the GNATS distribution and release it under the
  same license.  Kenneth seemed to have disappeared and I and the gnats
  mailing list haven't heard from him in about a year.  Since I wrote the
  first version my suggestion should work.  I don't think he would have a
  problem.

But the next maintainer, Kenneth H. Cox, who made a lot of changes to the
code, is unreachable -- none of his available e-mail addresses works and
nobody on the GNATS development list seems to know a contact to him.

As Milan has told me (based on your advice), I contactd Tom E. Turner
<address@hidden> to help with locating Kenneth H. Cox, but didn't receive
any reply from Tom.

How shall we proceed?  It would be great could someone from the FSF
help with that, especially given that both Milan and me are located
in central Europe (and quite loaded).

Gerald

PS: I'll be essentially offline until April 6th.