[Savannah-hackers] Re: switch to CVS/Savannah

From: Leonard H. Tower Jr.
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: switch to CVS/Savannah
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:26:20 -0500 (EST)

   From: Loic Dachary <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:18:32 +0100 (CET)
   Cc: address@hidden

   Leonard H. Tower Jr. writes:
    > On
    >      https://savannah.gnu.org/account/register.php
    > Change
    >     "Login Name (if you have a gnu.org account, use that account name):"
    > to:
    >     "Login Name (if you have a gnu.org or subversions pserver account,
use that account name):"

    > As I learn more and more of the twisty little passages about
    > subversions.gnu.org ;-}

    :-) I don't think this will be necessary. All the persons who have a pserver
   account on subversions.gnu.org were informed many times in the past month.
   Another (more compelling) motivation for keeping this outside the page is
   that if a user has both a pserver and kerberos account with the same
   name but different password then it should use the kerberos password, not
   the pserver password. In other words it's a bit tricky, too tricky to be
   explained in the page. I'd better keep the pserver info hidden because it
   relates to very few people and will probably confuse the population of
   kerberos users and generate questions.

    Let me know if this makes sense,

It makes sense to not publicize pserver as I suggested.

But why not switch all the pserver users over to Savannah, and kill
the pserver service?  Is there anything new that the pserver users
have to learn, beyond Savannah registration, which it seems they
already have to do?

Be simpler to maintain, and less hair for future GNU system-hackers
to deal with.

best -len