Re: [Savannah-hackers] website -> savannah migration and auto-updates fi

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] website -> savannah migration and auto-updates files
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:27:46 -0700 (MST)

     > There are at least two cases, /events.html and
     > /server/new-software.html, where files are updated
     > automatically by cron jobs in /var/www/.  I can't see anywhere
     > that this has been addressed yet.  Have we addressed it yet?

     It was not. I'm aware of this and I did a commit by hand from time to
time.

That is not a clean solution.

     > Here's an idea:
     >
     >   Only templates and programs are actually stored in subversions' CVS
     >   server.  That way, the generated HTML files would be basically "derived
     >   objects".  They could be placed in the .cvsignore in the directories,
     >   perhaps with a comment indicating what script generates them.  I could
     >   make /events_template.html, which I would grab each night.

I think this is the best way.

     > Note, BTW, that the /events.html is generated from data that is kept on
     > fencepost.  I transfer the generated file over now by putting it in the
     > alpha FTP directory.

Several other files from /gd/gnuorg fencepost are automatically put
onto www.gnu.org/prep periodically.  Why not put events.html into /gd/gnuorg
and use the same mechanism to transfer it to www.gnu.org?