Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Did the permissions on CVS lock files chan

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Did the permissions on CVS lock files change?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 10:38:56 +0200

Le 11/05/2016 01:04, Karl Berry a écrit :
[...]
> As I recall, there is some ACL or other magic allowing members of group
> www (like you) to commit to other repositories?  Unfortunately I'm not
> able to find the information now.  It is certainly plausible that
> such stuff was lost in the migration (not intentionally/knowingly).
>
> .. bob? ...
>
> Without something like that, I see no reason why th_g should have been
> able to commit to any project repository previously. [...]

I think there is a rationale for something like that: some packages have
broken home pages that give a poor idea of the package itself and the
GNU project in general, and their maintainers are unreachable. If nobody
else has permission to commit to the package web repos, (1) those pages
will never get fixed; (2) the number of broken pages will increase every
time the layout of gnu.org is modified, because it is nearly impossible
to take all the special cases into account in the global stylesheets;
(3) there will be no serious attempt at improving the layout.

Compare with what happens to unmaintained translations in the main part
of gnu.org: any webmaster or translation coordinator can update the
links, even if they can't read the script (this is isn't done often
enough, I know).

Therese