Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Moving #savannah from FreeNode to OFTC

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Moving #savannah from FreeNode to OFTC
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:06:24 GMT

    For me is ok if GNU projects are outside Savannah as long as their
    hosting site promote free software (Gna! for example).

That is not GNU policy.  Of course "GNU" (i.e., rms) strongly recommends
using free hosting sites (savannah, gna, puszca), but it is not a
requirement.  It is not a requirement to use a hosting site at all, and
if one is used, it doesn't have to be one of the free ones.

The requirement for GNU is free software packages that work together,
not imposing particular development methodologies.

    > Of course.  But by the same token, we shouldn't strive to convince GNU
    > projects to move to Savannah...

There is no "convincing".  We recommend it.  If GNU developers don't
want to use it, that is their privilege.

See the Hosting and Old Versions nodes in maintain.texi for rms's
official policy statements/GNU requirements (not terribly explicitly
stated) about such things.

As for the actual topic under discussion, namely IRC, since rms already
declined to make GNU policy changes in response to Sylvain's concerns,
and Sylvain is the Prime Mover behind savannah, if he wants to use a
different IRC site, that seems fine to me (as I said before).  As far as
I know there is no GNU policy about "having" to use FreeNode.  I doubt
it will make a lot of difference in practice, anyway.

Best,
karl