Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] openssl license

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] openssl license
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:00:35 +0100

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:06:06AM +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > One thing you didn't mention is using GnuTLS.
>
> Deliberately -- it's well known, and hated among major developers
> (why?) [1].  Migration to GnuTLS is not always trivial, and the
> openssl compatibility layer (in gnutls-extra, I think) does not work
> in all cases and is under GPL (IIRC).

On the other hand, I see a growing number of Debian packages linked
against GnuTLS.

This won't continue if we don't even mention the GnuTLS project -
which needs it, I don't think it's so well-known, be it because people
in the field stuck to the 'SSL' acronym rather than its 'TLS'
successor.

You'll note the effort at Savannah in this regard:
http://savannah.gnu.org/tls/
1) by using 'tls'
2) by using the gnutls tools rather than the openssl ones, the latter
   being more widely documented by 3rd parties afaics

As for "immature".. well I probably don't have to convince you anyway
:)

> > That's what we recommend
>
> Migration of an existing package to a new API?  I'm a big fan of
> GnuTLS, but imposing a specific library as a precondition for project
> approval (even as a recommendation) sounds a bit harsh to me,
> especially given the fact that several GNU packages have not migrated
> for years.  It is simply hypocritcial to declare it as some kind of a
> policy.

The OpenSSL license has been a plague for years and is still a major
waste of time in the Free Software community (when do we eventually
get SSL/TLS-enabled MySQL in distros?).

If people want to use NSS I think it's fine too, the main issue is
avoided. We can recommend this one too.

Note that I wrote "recommend", not "impose".  We do have projects
based on openssl at Savannah, but we'd rather help shifting the
balance rather than shut up.

--
Sylvain