Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] openssl license

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] openssl license
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 01:38:01 +0200

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> On the other hand, I see a growing number of Debian packages linked
> against GnuTLS.

Of course -- many people understand the problem, and choose to go the
safe route.  That's one of the reasons why the GnuTLS project was
started in the first place, if you recall.

OTOH, the growing or diminishing number of $foo at $distro is not a
solid base of any sensible conclusions.

> This won't continue if we don't even mention the GnuTLS project -

I think there's misunderstanding here -- I was answering to Nicodemo
only, not to the project submitter.  Certainly, I agree that GnuTLS
should be mentioned as an (recommended) alternative in such
situations, but there should be no reason to reject a project on the
basis that it links against OpenSSL (provided that the exception is in
place, and is valid taking into account other runtime dependencies, of
course).  IMVHO.