[Savannah-hackers-public] public domain and copyright information

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] public domain and copyright information
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:16:44 -0400

Hello guys, we've got a problem.

The notices on top of the source files says:

"The author disclaims copyright to this source code.  In place of
a legal notice, here is a blessing:

May you do good and not evil.
May you find forgiveness for yourself and forgive others.
May you share freely, never taking more than you give."

So we guess the files are public domain.

But what about the copyright? Do we have to ask the author
of these files to include copyright information?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html says:
"Being in the public domain is not a license--rather, it means the material is
not copyrighted and no license is needed."
Should we conclude that the author doesn't need to mention his name in the
source files?

<Beuc> PD is free of copyright, but do we want authorship info just in case
they're legal issues?

Is that right? What is the prefered way to release files under public domain?

Hopefully you can help us. :-)

Regards,
Sebastian Wieseler