[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #249111] project.nongnu.org webpages

From: Justin Baugh via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #249111] project.nongnu.org webpages
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:23:41 -0400

> What are the drawbacks of wildcards DNS entries? As far as I saw
> specified entries are always prioritary.

They're generally thought to being prone to abuse by spammers, however:

> Btw, that's what is apparently used at SourceForge:
> http://qsdfqsdfqsdfqsdf.sourceforge.net/

I've gone ahead and set up this wildcard entry. I'd still like to
consider doing this in a different way (below).

> Hmm, that means communicating that list from Savannah to nongnu.org.
>
> The way Savane shares data between machines is to offer limited access
> to the database, but Jim was not a fan of MySQL remote TCP
> access. What's your point on this?

I'm not a fan of it unless there's a very compelling reason to do so.

> Usually when we develop new feature we try to do so in reusable ways
> that could be integrated in Savane, so please don't suggest something
> too much awkard ;) Aside from that I'm open to suggestions. The other
> way that comes to mind would be to offer a web service at nongnu.org
> to put the project list.

The way I might do this is to have an SSH key which can only run a
script on Savannah for the purpose of dumping out a list of projects.
Then that script could write out a new zone file, if necessary, and
reload bind. Sound reasonable?

-Justin

--
Justin Baugh (baughj at gnu dot org)