savannah-dev

Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: bug using Group Type Management

From: Derek FEICHTINGER
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: bug using Group Type Management
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:20:23 +0100

Hi, Tim

> I pulled down the DEV_2003-09-05_CERN revision.  I followed the
> INSTALL.verbose with a fresh database (fresh config files et. el.).  I
> created a user called admin, modified the database with instructions in the
> non-dev INSTALL.verbose (about the 101 user).  I acknowledged the admin
> account via the provided URL in the signup email.  When I login (after
> verification) I do not get any administration options on the left side-bar.
>
> Any new/additional setup instructions not in the INSTALL.* files?

To get administrator rights, a user must be a member and admin of the
administrator project. The name of this project you defined during the
installation of Savannah. Look into your /etc/savannah/savannah.conf.pl file
for the value of the $sys_unix_group_name variable, if you forgot what you
chose.

As the logged in user (which is still unprivileged as of now), use the
"Register New Project" Link on the left menu panel. This will lead you
through a number of screens. It is important that you select for the
project's system name (on the third or fourth form) the exact name you chose
for the $sys_unix_group_name variable.

Once you complete the forms, you should be granted admin rights (i.e. the
project you submitted should be made active without further intervention! If
this does not happen, there is an error). You have to reload the page or jump
to another page inside of Savannah to see the administrator options activated
on the left menu panel.

The installation process of Savannah is rather cumbersome. Hopefully it will
improve a bit over time, but it is usually not the first priority, because
most of the available work goes into the front end, which is exposed to the
users.

Regards,
Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 22 767 26 98
LCG/SPI Group                           email: address@hidden