savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: sv_register_discard

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: sv_register_discard
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:44:34 +0200

Mathieu Roy writes:

 > In fact, it was easier and faster to me to directly assign this
 > copyright to the FSF.

        It is not enough for you to write "Copyright (C) FSF" in the
source files you wrote to assign them to the FSF. You need to do some
paperwork otherwise it has no effect (you have to sign a copyright
assignment). Otherwise it has some undesirable effects : people think
FSF is the copyright holder of this specific file but it's not the
case, you are the copyright holder.

        Is such a copyright assignment for the work done on Savannah
necessary ? I don't think so. Assigning copyright is useful when you
can manage to have a single copyright holder. Since we cannot implement
this for Savannah, we might as well not do it.

 > In a few words, I dont really understand why it's not acceptable that
 > FSF get copyright of files I've added. ". There is therefore little
 > interest in assigning copyright to the FSF in this specific case",
 > right, but there is also little interest in assigning copyright to me,
 > since the main point is keeping it GPL.

        I think there is a confusion here. Whatever you write, you are
by default the copyright holder. You don't need to "assign" copyright
to yourself, it is automatic. You need to assign copyright to someone
else (FSF for instance) when you want to tranfert your rights as a
copyright holder.

        Cheers,