rule-list

[RULE] Intro and installation question

From: Kevin Bullock
Subject: [RULE] Intro and installation question
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:37:30 -0500

Good morning all;

My name is Kevin Bullock and I am a GNU/Linux user. I have been using GNU/Linux at varying degrees for about five years. My mantra was "Windows Free by '03." I was there, but have to resort to Windows for video editing. I'm trying to get my All-in-Wonder card, video capturing software, and rendering software to work under GNU/Linux. I am also teaching myself C++. My goal is to get proficient enought so as to help debug, patch, etc., opensource projects. Eventually use the skills as possibly my main source of income.

A installation question: I have a Toshiba Satellite 200 CDS with 24MB RAM and a 800MB HD. Even when I can get packaged distros loaded and running, they are SO SLOW. I came across the R.U.L.E. Project in "Linux Format" magazine. My last distro was Mandrake 8.2. I have since fdisk'd and formated the HD. However, even after installing RH 7.3 from the disk2.img and slinky.img disks, upon boot-up, I receive the "Stage 1" message and the machine freezes. I am presuming that this is the remnant Mandrake boot-loader that I have somehow failed to wipe out. How can I do this. I read the installation page several times, however dumb questions follow: What hdx do I install to? hda is my 'c' drive, yes? Do I need to use the slinky-v.1.0.7.img if I have the RH 7.3 disks? Should I say install from cd with the slinky.img file on a cd?

I am pleased to be a part of this project and hope I can contribute more than questions.

Kevin