rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] swapon /swap

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] swapon /swap
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:44:52 -0700

From: Martin Stricker <address@hidden>
<snip>
> Eugene asked:
> What would you guys think of creating swap files during installation
> and then removing them after completion? I hope that this hasn't been
> discussed yet, because I don't want to waste your time.

Use a swap partition. It's faster, and it can be used for swap with no
changes in the installed system. Slinky will guide you through the
necessary steps (it *requires* a swap partition). Make it at least 32
MB.

I think that I made a mistake in explaining myself. If I made a swap partition of 32 MB, wouldn't it be good to make use of the unused space on the root partition, by having a script create swap files? 32 MB + swap file space might help the installation along. Or do I misunderstand?

I'm *really* interested how a slinky install performs on you system (how
long do the individual steps take?) since it's the very first i386 I
hear of trying to get RULE installed.

I'll keep you guys posted. My aim would be to surf the Internet with Netscape 4.7* and have a word processor. I'll probably end up using emacs or something. Bear in mind, however, that I'll be installing through ftp, which *really* *really* slows things down.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong