[rdiff-backup-users] Network performance

From: Laurent De Buyst
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Network performance
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 16:50:36 +0200

I was wondering, if I run rdiff-backup and point it to a remote server, how much work gets done by that remote server?

Or to be a bit more specific: would there be a serious difference in performance between:

A) rdiff-backup to a remote server

B) use sshfs to mount the remote server's disk locally and use rdiff-backup locally

I would like to do B because I have a rather piecemeal network and this would allow me to handle a lot more clients in a consistent manner, but if it's going to have a huge performance hit, then I'll pass.

Laurent De Buyst
System administrator
Disclaimer | Please consider the environment before printing