[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup vs. Back-In-Time

From: Kshitij Kotak
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup vs. Back-In-Time
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 02:28:43 +0000

Dear rdiff-backup Experts

Pardon my naïve query, but need to understand what is the difference between
rdiff-backup approach and the following steps:

1) we take the remote sync of primary data store on a mirror server using
rsync. This is automated for every 1 hour using cron.

2) to get a point-in-time restore, we use back-in-time on mirror server to get
the data stored locally in time slots to recover. My back-in-time runs once
every day and is cronned using Back-In-time internal switch that allows me to
define schedule.

This approach has worked flawless (so far). Plus back-in-time has a fantastic
GUI which, for a non-expert like me is a great relief.

>From what gather on this group, rdiff-backup saves much larger amount of space
>than my approach. Is that correct? Considering the complexities of command
>line approach, restore issues and the kind of problems you guys report... I am
>petrified to try out rdiff-backup.

Does rdiff-backup offer me any significant benefits over my novice approach? If
so, is there a better, less complex, more reliable way to implement backup (and
guarantee restore :D ) for a novice like me?

Await your replies...

Cheers
Kshitiz

Sent from BlackBerry®