Re: [rdiff-backup-users] viewing rdiff-backup stores from Windows

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] viewing rdiff-backup stores from Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:51:04 +0000

Rodney Schuler wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Dominic <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Rodney Schuler wrote:

        I have looked for a nice windows GUI for doing exactly this.
         I have not found anything.  Does nobody else know of such a
        project?  If not, I will see if I can work up the gumption to
        start such a project.

        On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Pieter Donche
        <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
        <mailto:address@hidden
        <mailto:address@hidden>>> wrote:

           Does there exist a WinXP program to browse a backup store
        made on a
           remote server via rdiff-backup
           and select and restore specific directories and/or files ?

I was unaware of archfs. Thanks for pointing in out. If it can be made to work in the windows world I will have the solution I have been looking for.
On the linux server: install fuse and build and install archfs - for instance, see my instructions (for Ubuntu) at http://www.timedicer.info/. Make sure the linux user is a member of the 'fuse' group. Now on the linux server you can create an archfs mountpoint. You then use WinSCP in Windows to connect to the linux server and view the mountpoint.

archfs can show the rdiff-backup repository either on a date-first or file-first basis. In the latter case, each file is shown as a directory and inside this are separate files for the dates on which the file was backed up; unfortunately a separate entry is shown even when the file has not changed between backups, so it can be hard to find when a file changed (rdiffweb is better for this) - I wish this could be fixed!

I think the archfs view is static, so that it is not updated if the underlying repository changes; you need to unmount and remount to update the archfs view. I guess this could be done as a cron job.

Dominic