Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 23:18:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Andrew,

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

The reason it hasn't been implemented is that it would require either figuring out how much space is needed beforehand (which requires scanning the whole source repository in advance, something which rdiff-backup is currently not setup for; however implementing that functionality would allow various other requested features to be developed), or rdiff-backup would have to detect that out-of-disk-space event, reverse the current session, delete an increment, and start over (that, of course, hits a horrible case when the current backup wants to add a, say, 40GB file, and deleting each increment only frees a few MB or so).

Surely it's possible to delete an old increment without reversing the entire backup in progress? As I understand it, a backup creates a new increment, it doesn't touch any of the existing ones, therefore it should be perfectly safe to delete any increment except the one currently being created, while the backup is running. At worst, we'd have to restart the backup of the current file, if the out of space error left the binary diff
file hopelessly corrupted.

Cheers, Chris.
--