Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:08:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Damon,

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Damon Timm wrote:

What is the best way to "go looking for lost files" with rdiff-backup? That is, if I backup a file, then delete the file, then unknown quantities of time pass (all the while running nightly backups), is there an easy way to find the file I deleted X number of days ago? Especially if I am not one hundred percent sure of its name and/or location ?

With rdiff-backup --list-changed-since, you can get a list of all files changed within the last 6 weeks, 1 year, etc. with the date and the type of change for each one. It is quite slow, however.

Andrew, if I strace this process it's doing a LOT of futex calls for no apparent reason (no threads or sub processes involved). I imagine it could be sped up by at least ten times by removing these. Worth investigating?

Cheers, Chris.
--