[rdiff-backup-users] HomeUserBackup / HUBackup supporting rdiff-backup

From: Oliver Mulatz
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] HomeUserBackup / HUBackup supporting rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:09:27 +0100

Hi Sivan,

in your blog-posting
(http://sivang.blogspot.com/2007/10/hubackup-and-rdiff-backup-or-how-i.html)
you wrote:

> "Moreover, Using rdiff-backup, I now think of just letting it create its "meta
data" (reverse diff) along side the already existing directories the user wants to backup, which
will *greatly* reduce space overhead when backing up (essentially just burning the folders to the
optical media together with the special information for restoring the permissions and other file
attributes). Now, given that I need to explore how to slice up backup data to fit in more then one
optical medium."

here's a python-script which "can be used to create archives on CD, DVD or other
backup media":

http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/MakeArchive
Usage: makearchive /path/to/backup/tree /required/path/to/snapshot/ [maximum
size in bytes]

and here's a ruby-script 'SplitRdiffBackup' to figure out how to split
rdiff-backup archives:
http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/SplitRdiffBackup

If you could support rdiff-backup (as alternative back-end to DAR) this would
be great!

Cheers,
Oliver