Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:33:05 +0000

Dimi Paun wrote:
On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 16:26 +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:

The repository would still be locked, as the snapshot would simply
show your the state of the disk at a set point in time. What you
could do is to create a snapshot before starting the backup, and then
destroy it later. I'd guess the timing you'd need would be :

Create snapshot (if not already in existance) before starting backup
Do backup
Kill snapshot IF there is no copy in progress.

Create snapshot (if not already in existance) before starting copy
Do copy from snapshot
Kill snapshot IF there is no backup in progress.

<plug>
BTW, this is one of the features built into safekeep already:
    http://safekeep.sourceforge.net/
</plug>
Well it may be a plug, but it's justified IMHO for an open-source product that I had not heard of and that is based on rdiff-backup. Safekeep is not mentioned at http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/related.html. Looks good enough for me to wish I had seen it earlier. But is it only for Linux clients?

Dominic