Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:29:14 +1100

Helge Milde wrote:
If it is intended, are there any workarounds for this? We need to be able to restore a backup within minutes, and a backup process can last for 6+ hours (and we do them twice a day).

I believe this is intended behaviour. The backups are mean to be atomic. Thus its not possible to restore increments inside the time it takes to backup (ie while the backup is running). However, if you are not trying to restore an increment, you could just copy the file out of the repository you wanted (assuming the running backup process has progressed past that file. Say you have directories A, B, C, D, and the backup takes ages on C, but has already done the files in A, then you can just copy them out of the repository. You only need to involve rdiff-backup for increments. Other than that, you will probably just have to backup less data in a job if your time to restore falls inside your backup window.
IE, have more, fewer backup jobs.

dave