[rdiff-backup-users] Permissions error when backing up?

From: stanlin
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Permissions error when backing up?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:05:13 -0400

Hi Andrew,

Firstly, thank you for the support with rdiff. Secondly, my sincere apologies
for the spam I caused. I didn't realize edits in this forum resulted in list
mailing notifications for you all.

I upgraded to the newest listed version (1.1.17) and was able to get further.
Now the backup goes smoothly, its the restore where things balk.

When I attempt a restore on the backup (or manually navigate to the backup dir
to examine it) as the same administrative group user who ran the backup, it
fails.

I believe this is because the read permissions are not enabled on the files. I
see that the Windows permissions on the backup files are different than they
are on the original files. The security on the original files are
fullcontrol/read/write (as Windows Vista sees it) and on the backup files there
are none of those permissions with the exception of the item "special
permissions". When I drill down into this, it seems that some various
non-essential permssions are enabled, but "read data" and "write data" are not.

It seems the bottom line is that the backup process results in changed
permissions.

One additional data point, where hopefully I'm giving back to this community:
in my humble suspicions, it may be that Cygwin+Vista is somewhat broken,
because the ACLs on all my files are all zeroed out on Cygwin and don't reflect
what I'm in reality able to do with them. I referenced this posting:

http://www.nabble.com/Rsync-windows-vista-permissions-problems-td15187837.html

If your understanding is the same, then it may be worthwhile to release note
this Vista problem for the upcoming build. While I wish I could go back to XP
as a workaround, it would be a drastic move. If you can think of a workaround
here as well I would greatly appreciate it... I didnt see anything in the man
pages about overriding permissions during backup creation.

Thanks!
Stan