Re: [rdiff-backup-users] CIFS filesystem and symbolic links to other dir

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] CIFS filesystem and symbolic links to other directories
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:33:19 -0400

On Jul 6, 2008, at 6:19 AM, Ian Jones wrote:

Hello. I have the following problem.

I am trying to use rdiff-backup to backup from a Linux (Debian lenny) machine to a CIFS mounted filesystem (which is located on a Droboshare - http://www.drobo.com.)

Ian,

One more thing: You should find out what version of Samba (I presume) is running on the Droboshare. I believe there are ways to determine that when doing the CIFS mount (look in your system logs). It may require an `echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI` and remounting. Google around for more on that.

I ask because I found this interesting nugget in the CIFS TODO list under "Known Bugs":

1) existing symbolic links (Windows reparse points) are recognized but can not be created remotely. They are implemented for Samba and those that support the CIFS Unix extensions, although earlier versions of Samba overly restrict the pathnames.

'overly restrict pathnames' sounds a bit like what you are experiencing...

Andrew