Re: [rdiff-backup-users] CIFS filesystem and symbolic links to other dir

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] CIFS filesystem and symbolic links to other directories
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0400

On Jul 6, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Ian Jones wrote:
3) Lastly, what CIFS version are you running? You can get that from `cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData`

# cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData
Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
CIFS Version 1.52
Active VFS Requests: 0
Servers:
1) Name: 192.168.71.5  Domain: LEJARDIN Mounts: 1 OS: Unix
      NOS: Samba 3.0.14a      Capability: 0xe3fd

Well, I'm afraid this is our answer. Samba 3.0.14a was released on April 15, 2005. Since CIFS documents indicate that many symlink improvements have happened on the Samba-end since then, it looks like there's nothing you can do about it, other than disabling symlinks when running rdiff-backup. Sorry.

For a product that looks like it was released in the last year, a 3 year old Samba is shameful. :-(

Andrew