Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring to an archive, i.e. making a snapsho

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring to an archive, i.e. making a snapshot
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:07:47 -0400

On Jun 18, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Patrick Nagel wrote:

Hi,

David Sickmiller wrote on 2008-06-07:
| I'm using rdiff-backup to run a nightly backup across the Internet from | a production server to a backup server. I'd like to be able to produce
| monthly snapshots and save them on removable media.  It'd really be
| great if I could make these snapshots on the backup server, generate
| them from past revisions, and keep all the meta data.
|
| I think I can generate an archive of the current mirror just by making a | tar file of it, although I'm not sure if that preserves the meta data. | I know it's possible to restore an old revision from rdiff-backup to a | regular filesystem, but I don't believe one can "restore" into a file. | (It's possible to use FUSE to mount a tar file, but the file ownership
| and permissions don't work.)  I've been searching online but haven't
| found much to fit this need.  I find this a bit surprising... am I
| mistaken to think I want this functionality?

I'm looking for the exact same thing - did you get any useful response? Or did
you come up with an idea?

If you tar up the current mirror, the rdiff-backup-data, but NOT the rdiff-backup-data/increments dir, you will be able to restore the current mirror exactly by using rdiff-backup. You could even exclude the old files in the rdiff-backup-data dir (they are all time-stamped).

The metadata is all stored in the rdiff-backup-data/mirror_metadata.* files. rdiff-backup attempts to apply the metadata to the mirror as well, but the mirror_metadata files are the complete record. The most recent file is a ".snapshot", and then there are ".diff" files to go back to previous mirrors. To save time during restore and guard against corruption, rdiff-backup again stores a .snapshot every 10 increments.

rdiff-backup stores the mirror in "reverse diff" format. That is, the contents of the mirror are always the most recent backup, and the rdiff-backup-data/increments/ dir stores reverse diffs to go back in time. By not keeping those snapshots, you only lose the ability to restore timepoints previous to the snapshot. Of course, if you have enough space to store the increments as well, there's no downside. They are stored compressed, so it's worth checking how big the directory is.

Regarding the restore to a FUSE-mounted tar, maybe there's an option analogous to tar's --preserve-permissions to do what you want?

Andrew