Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit ssh commands to rdiff-backup

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit ssh commands to rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:45:58 +0100

Steve Annessa schrieb:
Hello,

I'm trying to limit the commands ssh runs to rdiff-backup.

I added the commands option to my authorized_key file, and it literally runs the command listed. Has anyone successfully limited ssh commands this way with rdiff-backup? What am I doing wrong? Is it just not possible?

I push from Server_N to Server_Backup. It goes from address@hidden to address@hidden

Thank you,
-- Steve

Hi Steve!

What you put into command="..." will be run at login instead of anything the ssh-client may have wanted to run. You need to know what rdiff-backup would have done and put that into command="...".

I'd do it like this:
1. Delete the command= section from your authorized_keys
2. Start a backup
3. Run
ps ax|less
on Server_Backup and extract the *exact* rdiff-backup command, including arguments. Note that the |less is necessary, ps would crop the output at the screen edge otherwise.
4. Put the command into your command="...." in your authorized_keys
5. Post the command for further reference ;)

Jakob